People you should KNOW

Johnathan Borowsky, the manager of Insomnia Cookies and a recent Temple grad, is trying to watch out for the Cherry and White.

A brother of Alpha Kappa Lambda and recent Temple graduate, Jonathan Borowsky, is an example of an alumnus who still keeps a close watch on his nest.

When Borowsky heard Temple might lose its $175 million state budget appropriation, resulting in a significant tuition increase, he decided to take action.

“I’m an alumnus, and I feel all alumni should care,” Borowsky said.

In part, as a result of actions by individuals like Borowsky, who helped rally students, parents and concerned others to sign petitions and call the senator’s office, Temple’s state appropriation was unanimously approved by the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.

“As a political science major, when I saw that State Representative John Taylor was trying to raise our tuition with such a short notice, it upset me,” Borowsky said. “Especially since it happened at a time when we are in such a fragile [economic] state.”

When Borowsky is not engaging in activist work, he can be found managing business inside the Insomnia Cookies truck on Montogmery Street, alongside the Student Center.

Quentin Williams can be reached at quentin@temple.edu.