Spreading shisha to Main Campus

Nadim Keval took note of students smoking hookah on Beury Beach and capitalized on it by starting his own business.

College students are often encouraged to set goals for themselves. Rarely, however, do students find owning a hookah business among those goals considered attainable. But for junior kinesiology major Nadim Keval, it’s both a passion and a reality.color_vidacarson_nov2_hookah4

As a student entrepreneur, Keval created his own hookah business on Main Campus called Quality Shisha. His plan is to sell and deliver hookahs, tobacco and coal all for a convenient and reasonable price to students in the area, he said.

“I started Quality Shisha because I saw an opportunity in the college market for starting a hookah business,” Keval said. “Many people have to travel far away for hookah supplies and pay outrageous prices. I’m able to offer my customers an alternative by selling a wide variety of products and flavors at cheaper prices.”

Hookah, an ancient form of smoking flavored tobacco through a glass water pipe and hose, is becoming a common trend among college students.

Having started his business nine months ago, Keval is currently busy developing the business’s future Web site and meeting new customers.

“A lot of my customers are girls,” Keval said. “I really want to branch out to a more diverse array of students around Temple.”

Melissa Alam can be reached at malam@temple.edu.