Philly Aids Thrift 13th Anniversary Block Party

Philly AIDS Thrift hosted its 13th anniversary block party outside the store on 5th Street near Bainbridge on Saturday.  For 13 years, the nonprofit has raised money for local organizations that provide services to people

Philly AIDS Thrift hosted its 13th anniversary block party outside the store on 5th Street near Bainbridge on Saturday. 

For 13 years, the nonprofit has raised money for local organizations that provide services to people with HIV and AIDS.

“It’s just a beautiful collection of people that shop, donate and volunteer here and we just love them very much,” said Christina Kallas-Saritsoglou, the store’s manager and co-founder. “This is just our way of giving back to the community.”

Philly AIDS Thrift hosted a pie eating contest with MANNA, a nonprofit that gives food to people with life-threatening illnesses, as a part of MANNA’s annual Thanksgiving fundraiser, Pie In The Sky. The proceeds will provide Thanksgiving dinners to those with illnesses like HIV/AIDS, chronic kidney disease and cancer.

The event also had performances by the Squidling Brothers Circus Sideshow, carnival games, a dunk tank, food and live music.

“We’re big supporters of Philly AIDS Thrift and their mission,” said Melanie Harris, a Queen Village resident who attended the event with her children. “It really does take a village, and people in the community have to show that they care and come out.”