Profiling Temple club sports

Part two of a series focusing on club sports in preseason. Men’s Volleyball: The men’s volleyball club is in its preseason phase. The club wants to carry a squad of anywhere between 12 and 15

Part two of a series focusing on club sports in preseason.

Men’s Volleyball:

The men’s volleyball club is in its preseason phase. The club wants to carry a squad of anywhere between 12 and 15 guys to compete in tournaments.

“Our club is highly competitive, as we compete in tournaments on the East Coast, and make a trip to nationals at the end of the spring semester,” men’s volleyball club President Louis Cannataro, said in a email.

The club’s schedule hasn’t been set in stone yet, but it will compete in its first tournament of the season at West Chester  on Oct. 9. The club finished its season last year at 7-3, but this year’s club will have a different look to it.

“[We’ve] had quite a few people graduate from the team this year,” Cannataro said. “With the amount of members lost due to graduation, some fresh new faces would be a welcomed sight.”

Climbing Club:

Even though the club started climbing last Wednesday, the rock-climbing club climbs year round so that its members can experience the thrills of rock climbing all year long.

This particular club is one of the more rapidly growing clubs on campus.

“We actually had an overabundance of new members this semester,” rock climbing club President Molly Marshaleck, said in an email.

This is another club that functions for both recreation and competition.

“We occasionally compete throughout the semester,” Marshaleck said.

The club’s scheduled competitive climbs include: the Penn Pulldown on Sept. 22 at the University of Pennsylvania, the College Crank on Nov. 12 at Philadelphia Rock Gym, and the Crux Comp on April 3 at Drexel.

Ultimate Frisbee:

Temple’s ultimate frisbee club is  competitive and open to anyone. It does enter into competitions, but there is no set schedule.  Gameday rosters depend upon dedication to the club and attendance in practice.

“The club is a lot more competitive than most people think,” ultimate frisbee club President Steve Ng, said in an email. “We try to start going to tournaments as early as possible, and our practices are meant to get everyone working at the same level fast.”

Anyone who decides to join this club has to be dedicated to the sport and enjoy a lot of strenuous physical activity.

“In any given tournament weekend, we could play up to nine games in two days, so our practices and drills involve a lot of running and conditioning while also strengthening fundamentals,” Ng said. “It’s a lot to handle.”

Karate:

The karate club is a competitive martial arts club that gives its members an opportunity to not only practice martial arts skills on each other, but offers a competition setting as well.  It does, in fact, already have enough members to participate, but it is always looking to add new and enthusiastic members to its roster.

For students looking to channel their inner Daniel-son, this club competes in five tournaments each year.

This club has unlimited potential to grow, so even if you’re curious about the martial arts, contact club President Michael McKeon about how to join and when practices are.

Sean Purvis can be reached at sean.purvis@temple.edu.