Ride Indego stations come to Main Campus

On April 23, the Ride Indego bikeshare system will become available for city-wide use.

Ride Indego, Philadelphia’s new bike share program, is set to launch on April 23 with stations in more than 60 locations throughout the city – three of which will be on or close to Main Campus.

The bike docks will be available from University City in West Philadelphia to the Navy Yard and from South Philadelphia to its northernmost locations around Temple.

According to the official Ride Indego website, locations “were selected based on proximity to community resources, employment centers, bike infrastructure and transit in consultation with partner agencies, institutions, community groups and the public.”

One bike share is located on 10th and Berks streets, next to the Temple University SEPTA Regional Rail station. Another can be accessed on the corner of 13th Street and Montgomery Avenue, across from the Howard Gittis Student Center. A third bike station is located on the edge of Main Campus at the intersection of Broad and Oxford streets outside of the Fresh Grocer.

Nina Hoe, a postdoctoral fellow for Temple’s Institute for Survey Research, worked with the Mayor’s Office of Transportation and Utilities to conduct a market test to predict how the bike share program will function on campus.

“I think it will have a great impact to help students be able to easily access other neighborhoods in Philadelphia that have typically been more difficult to access,” Hoe said.

Each Ride Indego station includes a touchscreen kiosk, where a credit card or an Indego membership key can be used to pay for a bike.

Non-members can pay per trip at $4 every half hour. More frequent users can purchase an IdegoFlex or Indego30 membership for better deals.

Shannon Hurley can be reached at shannon.hurley@temple.edu.