Rod Carey fired as football head coach

Temple University head football coach Rod Carey was fired after three seasons with the Owls.

Rod Carey, head coach of Temple football, has been fired, according to a press release sent out on Nov. 29. Carey has been the head coach of the Owls for three seasons, ending this season with a 3-9 record and a 1 -7 record in American Athletic Conference. | AMBER RITSON / TEMPLE NEWS

Temple University fired head football coach Rod Carey after three seasons with the team, according to a press release Monday morning. 

“It’s never an easy decision to replace a head coach,” wrote Arthur Johnson, Temple’s athletic director and vice president, in the statement. 

Johnson made the decision to fire Carey based on where he saw the program heading, he said in a press briefing today.

The timeline for finding a new coach is fluid, and Johnson intends to hire a search firm to assist in the process. He believes it is important for the new coach to have ties to the local area, but it won’t be the only factor in the decision-making process, he added. 

“At the end of the day you still have to lead a football program,” Johnson said. “That includes student athletes and the staff and then all the other ancillary things that come with leading a program.” 

During his Temple tenure, Carey went 12-20 as head coach. He led the team to an 8-5 record in 2019 and earned a bid to the Military Bowl. The Owls finished this season on a seven-game losing streak resulting in a 3-9 overall record and 1-7 record in American Athletic Conference play. 

The Owls finished the 2020 season — which was shortened due to the COVID-19 pandemic — with a 1-6 record. 

Several players announced they entered the transfer portal this season, including redshirt-junior receiver Jadan Blue and redshirt-freshman safety M.J. Griffin. Redshirt-freshman quarterback D’Wan Mathis announced his transfer as well, but chose to return next season. 

“The past two seasons have not been easy with the challenges of the pandemic,” Johnson wrote. “I want to thank Rod for staying committed to our student-athletes and wish him and his family well in their next chapter.”