Sports Rewind

Sports Rewind for the week of April 27.

Baseball
The Owls ended a six-game losing streak Saturday, topping Richmond, 8-3. But the Spiders still took two games in the series, leaving coach Rob Valli’s squad with a record of 17-26 (11-9 A-10).

Despite taking only one game on the road at Richmond last week, the Owls are still in contention for an Atlantic Ten Conference Tournament bid. They sit in fifth place, a half game ahead of Massachusetts. Six teams make the playoffs.

Senior outfielder Sean Barksdale got his 153rd career RBI on Sunday, putting him one short of tying a Temple record. He’ll have a chance to tie and surpass the record Wednesday when the Owls head to Maryland Eastern Shore for their final non-conference game this season.

Softball
The Owls had a disappointing end to their season Sunday following two losses to St. Bonaventure in a doubleheader. One win would have given the Owls entry into the A-10 Championships.

The team dropped its first game, 5-1, but had a chance to take the second, which went into extra innings. The Bonnies scored and won in the 12th inning, 4-3, securing a spot in the playoffs. The Owls ended their season with a 15-25 (6-8 A-10) record.

In the final contest, senior first baseman Courtney Norene hit her sixth home run of the season in the second game, giving her a record-setting 28 career home runs.

Track and Field
Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams found success in last weekend’s A-10 Championships.
The men earned a third-place overall finish, the best they’ve ever achieved at the A-10s. Junior sprinter Brad McFadden ran a time of 55.06 seconds in the 400-meter hurdles, giving him a first-place finish. Altogether, the men’s team took 127 points, behind first-place Charlotte (217.5) and second-place Rhode Island (130).

The women’s team, which finished fourth overall, was led by sophomore sprinter Paris Williams, who earned the team’s only individual title in the 400-meter dash with a time of 55.06 seconds. The women ended with 88 points. Like their counterparts, Charlotte’s women’s team came in first.

Lacrosse

After a less-than-stellar season, the lacrosse team finished on a winning note with a 15-5 victory against Lafayette Wednesday at Geasey Field. Despite outshooting the Owls 32-24, the Leopards couldn’t break the Owls’ defense. Sophomore goalkeeper Katie Phillips had a career-high seven saves.
For the first time in three years, the Owls didn’t participate in the A-10 Tournament. Three seniors are leaving the team.