Sports Rewind for 4/15

Football Bone marrow drive In conjunction with the Fox Chase and Temple Cancer Centers, the Owls will conduct their first bone marrow drive Wednesday in room 200 of the Howard Gittis Student Center from noon

Football
Bone marrow drive

In conjunction with the Fox Chase and Temple Cancer Centers, the Owls will conduct their first bone marrow drive Wednesday in room 200 of the Howard Gittis Student Center from noon to 5 p.m.

Participants must be 18 to register for the drive, which consists of a cheek swab test and no blood or needles. The registration and test process should take no more than 20 minutes according to the press release on the Temple Athletics Web site.

Interested donors can contact Ryan McNamee, the assistant director of football operations, at 215-204-0859, or by e-mail at football@temple.edu. Walk-ins are also welcome.

You’re the coach Now, fan
Two fans will have the chance to serve as guest offensive and defensive coordinators during the third quarter of Saturday’s game.
The Owls will hold a raffle to select the winners with all proceeds going to the Academic Support Center for Football student-athletes. Chances will be sold Thursday from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Edberg-Olson Hall during the team’s free student barbeque. Chances are $10 each or four chances for $20.

The winners, who will wear a live headset during the third quarter, will be announced at halftime and take pictures with coach Al Golden, defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio and offensive coordinator Matt Rhule.

Free food, giveaways and football

A student barbeque will be held Thursday from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the football team’s practice facility, Edberg-Olson Hall on 11th and Diamond Streets. Students with an Owl Card will be permitted into the event for free.

The first 1,000 students will receive a Temple-Connecticut game-day T-shirt. The Owls will face UConn in their home season opener on Sept. 6 at Lincoln Financial Field.

Men’s Golf
Coming off a sixth-place performance at last week’s Yale Spring Opener in New Haven, Conn., the golf team finished sixth overall once again at the Princeton Invitational this weekend. In three rounds, the Owls shot 290-296-292 to finish with a total of 878 — 26 strokes above par.

Junior Paul Amess finished third out of a field of more than 70 golfers, shooting a 71-73-68 to finish with a 212 (-1).  His score was the fifth-lowest 54-hole score in program history.

Temple returns to action at the Mount St. Mary’s Invitational in Littlestown, Pa. next weekend.

Crew
The men’s Varsity 8 successfully defended their Knecht Cup title as they climbed from last place in a come-from-behind victory Sunday afternoon on the Cooper River in Collingswood, N.J.

Composed of senior coxswain Rory Roberts and sophomore stroker Tom Masterson, the Owls moved into first place 400 meters into the race while holding on for the victory in a fast time of 5:49.10.

Like the Varsity 8, the Second Varsity 8 also took home the gold medal behind the efforts of junior coxswain Thomas Goldner and senior stroke Sam Cunningham. The Owls led from start to finish, defeating Colgate by a length and a half. ”

Temple returns to competition next Saturday in the SIRA Regatta in Oak Ridge, Tenn., an event in which many of the top ranked teams are scheduled to compete. ”

The women’s Varsity 8 placed fifth at the Knecht Cup. They will remain in Collingswood for this weekend’s Atlantic Ten Conference Championship.

– Joe Polinsky