Stay satisfied with smart swaps

Ditch the mayo, and grab a slice of the whole grain bread; the right choice can go a long way in keeping off extra pounds.

J&H’s Louis J. Esposito Dining Court

If it’s pasta that tickles your fancy, opt for whole wheat instead of regular white pasta to cut out 13 calories per serving without sacrificing much in the taste department. Then, choose marinara sauce, which only contains 18 calories, over meat sauce, which packs 56.

If it’s pizza that a student’s craving, he or she should grab a slice of either cheese or veggie, as these are the two lowest in calories and fat.

Finally, if you are really looking for the pinnacle of healthy eating, grab a salad, but be sure to help it retain its healthy status by choosing a balance of toppings and a low-calorie dressing. As a general rule, the lighter a dressing is in color, the fewer calories and less fat it should have.

– Emily Heller

color_Sept 15_Wyrosdic_Kali_Living_Eat This Not That 8
Dressing can add calories to a salad, so opt for one that is light and oil-based. For alternatives from campus eateries, such as City View and Fresh Bytes, visit temple-news.com.

Student center’s Valaida S. Walker Dining Court
Keep it healthy when dining at the Student Center by choosing vegetarian options, which are offered at all of the food court stands and are marked with a leaf symbol on the menu.

The vegetarian wrap and the tomato basil flatbread sandwich are two options that taste great and have a lot less calories than their counterparts, which are loaded with breaded meat, bacon or fatty cheese.

There are also many of healthier side options, like the baby carrots at the Wrap Up which can be substituted for chips. Finally, avoid the fountain sodas or ultra-tempting f’Real milkshakes and grab some skim milk or water to wash down the meal.

– Emily Heller

Emily Heller can be reached at emily.heller@temple.edu.