Student wins trip to Duke

“Would Tim Riley please report to the customer service desk?” This was the statement heard over the Liacouras Centers loud speaker during last week’s Temple vs. Charlotte men’s basketball game. Riley, a Temple sophomore, was

“Would Tim Riley please report to the customer service desk?”

This was the statement heard over the Liacouras Centers loud speaker during last week’s Temple vs. Charlotte men’s basketball game. Riley, a Temple sophomore, was informed by surrounding friends that his name had been called on the loud speaker, but for what reason?

It was Riley’s lucky day. He won a trip for two to Duke University for Wednesday night’s Temple men’s basketball game against the top-ranked Blue Devils.

Riley and his roommate, Jim Mahoney, were booked on a flight to Durham, N.C., received transportation to the game, two tickets and a hotel room to stay in overnight.

Any student who purchased a Wild Cherry student season ticket had their name in the raffle for the trip. All they had to do was sign up before the tip-off of the game on Nov. 29. They announced Riley had won during the second half.

“I didn’t hear at first, so I didn’t pay much attention to it, but people told me they heard my name, so I went to where they told me to go, and it ended up to be true, and boy was I excited,” Riley said.

Riley said he is a big Temple basketball fan and couldn’t wait to see his team play in such a basketball heaven as the Cameroon Indoor Stadium.

“It feels so good to go to one of the best places to see a college basketball game, for sure, and I am excited,” Riley said.

He also is very appreciative of Temple athletics for giving him this opportunity.

“I think they are great, [it’s] not every day that you get to go down to Duke University and see your school team play,” he said. “I think it is cool they are doing that for any student, and doing it basically for no reason, only to promote the athletic program.

“In the sea of blue there will be at least one kid with a cherry and white shirt on, that is for sure,” Riley said.

Matt Sitkoff can be reached at phil14367@aol.com