Students rewarded for academics

Temple University Committee of Supplemental Academic Scholarships recognized students who demonstrated academic merit, perseverance, leadership and financial need. The seventh annual reception was held at the Board Room located in Mitten Hall on Monday, Nov.

Temple University Committee of Supplemental Academic Scholarships recognized students who demonstrated academic merit, perseverance, leadership and financial need. The seventh annual reception was held at the Board Room located in Mitten Hall on Monday, Nov. 19.

“Scholarship funding is a wonderful opportunity for students who demonstrate financial need, academic merit and leadership qualifications,” said junior Biology major Annoinette Jemison.

“The qualifications of the awards are based on students who have overcome an obstacle or barrier to achieving their higher education, have at least a 2.75 GPA, and display financial need,” said David Snyder, director of Foundation Relations.

One recipient explained how she came to receive the W.W. Smith Award.

“My 86-year-old grandmother has been raising me. I believe it was a favor from God. I knew that God was going to open a door some way, and since the scholarship was an available opportunity I decided to take advantage of it,” said senior Social Work major Cynthia Raton.

The awards were made possible by the Elmer Roe Deaver Foundation, W.W. Smith Charitable Trust, First Union Bank Fund, William Randolph Hearst Foundation, and Jessie Ball duPont Foundation.

The undergraduate students were awarded $1,000 per semester and can re-apply for a second year of financial assistance. Also two seniors received $7,000 for one year. About 130 students were selected from the 300 applications that were received.

The applications come out in March and the deadline is in April. The application requires an essay, recommendation, transcript and resume.

“During the summer, the committee reviews each student individually and the ceremony is held in the fall semester,” said Director of the Russell Conwell Educational Services Center, Michael Stokes.

The Committee of Supplemental Academic Scholarships consists of Russell Conwell Educational Services Center, Development & Alumni/ae Affairs, Student Financial Services, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Office of Academic Records, and the School of Communications and Theater.