Temple cares at local schools

The partnership between Philadelphia Cares and the School District of Philadelphia has sponsored Philadelphia Cares Day for more than 10 years. Philadelphia Cares, a non-profit organization aiming to provide a positive volunteering experience, is the

The partnership between Philadelphia Cares and the School District of Philadelphia has sponsored Philadelphia Cares Day for more than 10 years.

Philadelphia Cares, a non-profit organization aiming to provide a positive volunteering experience, is the central force behind this day.

Every year, Philadelphia Cares Day organizes 15,000 volunteers, spread across 150 schools throughout the city, to help clean up the buildings.

Temple University’s Community Service Association will lend its support in the effort to keep our schools tidy and running smoothly.

Keeping the tradition strong, Temple volunteers will do their best to make a difference on Saturday, Oct. 4.

Philadelphia Cares Day is not only a great opportunity to help others, but also to meet new people in the process. Temple fraternities, sororities and academic societies have all participated in the past.

“Philadelphia Cares Day is a great chance for our students to feel good about helping the community in one short day,” said Jennifer Connor, Temple’s Community Service Coordinator.

Volunteer work can range from removing weeds in playgrounds to painting murals in school bathrooms.

Temple’s partnership schools include James Elverson Middle School, Ferguson Academics Plus School, John Wanamaker School, Dunbar Academics Plus School and Tanner Duckrey School.

These community partnerships were forged by the School District of Philadelphia to allow local organizations, such as Temple’s, to provide community assistance to the students at these local schools.

Junior Sudha Suryadevara is looking forward to participating again on Saturday.

“One of my jobs was to paint murals in the [school] hallways,” Suryadevara said. “It definitely helped make the school look a little more cheerful and less dreary. The staff there seemed really grateful for our help.”

Temple’s Community Service Association is in the midst of planning mentoring and tutoring programs to take place at these local schools in the future.

Connor hopes volunteers will use this day as an opportunity to become familiar with area schools and their students.

Philadelphia Cares Day starts at 9:30 a.m. Volunteers will gather at the Student Center for a free T-shirt and some breakfast. Assignments will then be distributed.

Although volunteers are only required to offer two hours of their time, collectively Philadelphia will receive more than 60,000 service hours.

Anyone interested should stop by room A6 on the first floor in the Student Center for more information.

Michelle Nicoletto can be reached at mnic@temple.edu.