TEMPLE IN BRIEF

UNIVERSITY EXPERTS WILL DISCUSS CAMPUS CRIME ISSUES: Professors Mark Mattson of the Geography and Urban studies department, and George Rengert of the Criminal Justice department will give a seminar, “Crime on Campus: Perceptions of Reality”.

UNIVERSITY EXPERTS WILL DISCUSS CAMPUS CRIME ISSUES:
Professors Mark Mattson of the Geography and Urban studies department, and George Rengert of the Criminal Justice department will give a seminar, “Crime on Campus: Perceptions of Reality”. The discussion will explore crime-related issues, including prevention techniques and ways to combat crime on campus. The seminar participants will discuss issues relating to crime on the Main, Ambler, Fort Washington, Health Sciences, Tyler, and Center City campuses.

The seminar is Thursday, February 22 at 2:15 p.m. in the 9th floor lounge of Gladfelter Hall.

PHILOSOPHER VISITS TEMPLE UNIVERSITY:
Arto Haapala, a Finnish Fulbright scholar, is visiting Temple for eight months. Haapala chose Temple specifically, saying, “Temple’s philosophy department is well known for being very strong in the field of aesthetics and art criticism. Many of the philosophy department’s scholars have visited Finland, including chairman Richard Shusterman.”

“How does artwork differ from other artifacts? There is an increasing interest in environmental aesthetics, or the aesthetics of nature and everyday items and their ugliness or beauty”, said Haapala. At Temple, Haapala will be able to work with scholars in the aesthetics field, where he will conduct research for a book and several articles.

Haapala received his Ph.D. from the University of London and is chairman of the aesthetics department at the University of Helsinki. He is also excited to discover the artistic and historic treasures of Philadelphia.

AMBLER STUDENTS TO COMPLETE EXHIBIT FOR PHILADELPHIA FLOWER SHOW:
Temple University Ambler Landscape Architecture and Horticulture students are creating an indoor natural landscape to provide Flower Show visitors with a tangible representation of how nature can be used to manage landscape insects.

The work is part of one of the primary exhibits at this year’s show, being held from March 4 through 11, at the Philadelphia convention center.

For more information on Ambler’s Flower Show projects, call 215-283-1498.

CORRECTIONS:
In last week’s issue, the features story, “Black History Makers, there were incorrect names for the photos. The left photo is Carter G. Woodson and the right photo is James Weldon Johnson.

Last week’s issue sports story, “The Nightmare Deepens,” back cover sports photo of Ron Rollerson is credited to Laura Dobkin. Lauren Dobkin is the correct name.