Temple-related mumps cases reach 49 on Friday

The university announced an outbreak of the mumps on Feb. 28.

UPDATED AT 3:33 p.m. on March 15

There are 49 Temple-related mumps cases as of Friday.

There are 12 confirmed cases and 37 probable cases. Forty-six cases are in Philadelphia and three are from the neighboring counties, wrote Jim Garrow, the director of communication for the Philadelphia Department of Public Health in an email on Friday.

On Thursday, there were 38 Temple-related cases with 11 confirmed cases and 27 probable cases. Three of those 38 cases were from surrounding counties.

Mark Denys, the director of Employee and Student Health Services, told The Temple News on Wednesday that this includes two students from Montgomery County and one student from Delaware County.

Temple had 17 probable cases on Wednesday and 12 on Tuesday.

“Our recommendations continue to be that anyone associated with that community who is experiencing fever, headache, pain along the jaw, neck, pelvis or testicle, weakness or fatigue sees their regular doctor or Student Health,” Garrow wrote.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE
SYMPTOMS
According to a university release, there’s no treatment for mumps. But you can relieve symptoms with tactics including:
Taking medication like Tylenol or
Motrin
Rest
Drinking fluids
PEOPLE AT GREATEST RISK OF
INFECTION AND TRANSMISSION
People who are pregnant
People with illnesses that weaken their immune systems, like AIDS or any form of cancer
Health care personnel
International travelers
People who did not receive two doses of the MMR vaccine as a child
WHERE YOU CAN GET A THIRD SHOT
Student Health Services
Pharmacies like Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid
Most primary care physicians and urgent care clinics have the vaccine in stock, according to a university release sent on March 4.

The university announced on Feb. 28 that several students tested positive for the mumps. On Tuesday, the university announced it will now require all incoming students to have the mumps, measles and rubella vaccine, along with the chicken pox vaccine and the diphtheria tetanus and pertussis vaccines.  

Mumps is a highly contagious viral disease that can be transmitted via the nose, mouth and throat. Symptoms include swelling of the face and jaw, fever and body pains. The incubation period is 12 to 25 days, and symptoms typically appear 16 to 18 days after exposure.

Someone with mumps is considered contagious two days before their face swells, through five after, according to a university release. It’s recommended that people with mumps isolate themselves so they’re less likely to infect other people.

2 Comments

1. Hello I’m just a student who attends Temple and I’m wondering if they’re actually allowed to force students to still attend classes knowing that this is going on. Obviously they can’t cancel all classes but are they going to actually do something to adress this?