THE MUSIC ISSUE 2024

Temple talent is everywhere and with this edition, The Temple News hope to highlight some of the incredible artists and organizers who call North Philly home.

| ALLYSON THARP / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Philadelphia has always been a hotspot for up-and-coming musicians, artists and creatives alike. 

In the late ’60s and early ’70s, Philadelphia thrived as a music hub, boasting a diverse scene blending soul, R&B, rock and pop. It birthed the influential “Philadelphia Soul” sound, characterized by lush orchestration and smooth vocals, spearheaded by figures like Gamble and Huff. 

As evident by this special edition, music is a major lifeblood of Temple’s campus. Regardless if it’s playing out of an off-campus basement or the Performing Arts Center, Temple and surrounding community bonds through its devoted love and passion for music. 

Hall & Oates, who started as The Temptones while at Temple, emerged from this vibrant era, though they didn’t achieve immediate fame, laying the groundwork for their iconic partnership. Both up and down Broad Street, venues like The Uptown Theatre and The Met were mainstages to stars like James Brown, Aretha Franklin and Micheal Jackson. 

In addition to these grand stages, one doesn’t have to look very far to find talent around Temple’s Main Campus. The area’s basements house a vibrant DIY scene where musicians find a stage and community.

Temple is also home to Bell Tower Music, the university’s entirely student-run record label that coaches artists through the early stages of their career and prepares students for work in the music industry.

For jazz lovers, the Rite of Swing Jazz Café serves as a gathering place for performances and for students, faculty and jazz enthusiasts to hold court and tune into local artists. 

Through the university’s programming, like the Music Technology program at the Boyer College of Music and Dance, students are further equipped with tools to create and elevate personal portfolios for postgraduate work.

We are proud to bring this special edition of The Temple News back after seven years. Temple talent is everywhere, and with this issue we hope to highlight some of the incredible artists and organizers who call North Philly home.

From,

Molly Fiske, Features Editor

Anna Augustine, Assistant Features Editor

| ALLYSON THARP / THE TEMPLE NEWS

What to know about the North Philadelphia DIY scene

North Philly has seen a vibrant DIY music community rise. | NOEL CHACKO / THE TEMPLE NEWS

The Underworld: Building community below ground

The Underworld, a DIY venue focused on amplifying the community, was started by two Temple students. | NOEL CHACKO / THE TEMPLE NEWS

The Uptown Theater: Legendary venue to community revival

While the theater is currently undergoing change, it has long been a part of Philadelphia’s music culture. | FERNANDO GAXIOLA / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Temple’s Rite of Swing Café Hosts Jazz Night with Strings Ensemble

The Rite of Swing Jazz Cafes, which features emerging musicians, are held at the Temple Performing Arts Center. | FERNANDO GAXIOLA / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Three Temple alumni operate DIY music publication

Three Temple alumni organize RatPie Friends, a DIY music publication. | COURTESY / REECE HERBERG

Music Tech program thrives amid university enrollment decline

The music technology program has seen surges in enrollment and transfers even as university enrollment declines. | FERNANDO GAXIOLA / THE TEMPLE NEWS

CHECK OUT WHAT WE’RE LISTENING TO: