Three to See

Here’s three speakeasies for those brave enough to try to get in.

Franklin Mortgage and Investment Company
112 S. 18th st., Philadelphia, PA 19103

This underground cocktail bar has 60 seats, and thus, caps out at 60 people. Lines start forming in front of the bar by 6 p.m. some days, with people yearning for old-fashioned drinks served over one big rock of ice. This “drinking establishment” was named after the real, Prohibition-era bootleggers who went by “Franklin Mortgage” to cover up transporting their liquor on the railways. Lucky for you, you won’t have to hide your joy when you finally get that table.

Betty’s Speakeasy
2241 Gray’s Ferry Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19146

If it is true exclusivity paired with locally sourced food that you crave, then this tiny BYO in a trendy stretch of South Philadelphia gives you the chance to rent out its dining area for groups of 8-19 people. It specializes in private events but will also let you to pop in during the day for a taste of its delicious homemade fudge and some tasty food history.

Ranstead Room
2013 Ranstead St.,   Philadelphia, PA 19103

Intricately patterned, velvety wallpaper envelops you in a conversation-inviting atmosphere. The general manager describes it as “a 1950s, Las Vegas homage to the 1920s.” It feels smoky without any actual smoke, almost like a gentleman’s club; a sense only heightened by the choice of nudes in the decor. If you find yourself overwhelmed by the opulent selection of craft cocktails at the bar, the manager recommends a traditional concoction of apple brandy, lemon juice and house-made grenadine known as the Jack Rose.

-Rachel McDevitt