TSG addresses students’ pay

According to the Temple Student Government (TSG), administrators ignore the voices and concerns of students when making landmark decisions on campus. “Decisions here are made shockingly without any student input,” TSG President Naeem Thompson said.

According to the Temple Student Government (TSG), administrators ignore the voices and concerns of students when making landmark decisions on campus.

“Decisions here are made shockingly without any student input,” TSG President Naeem Thompson said.

Citing the recent decision to move student-workers’ paychecks from a weekly to a bi-weekly schedule, Thompson warned the assembly that they must speak up.

Additionally, TSG used Monday’s meeting to give out petitions to confront administrators on their ignorance. Representatives were enthusiastic about the announcement. Yosef Kalish, Chairman of the Environmental Affairs Committee, for instance, announced that he would take the petition to all of his classmates.

Moreover, Thompson made clear to the assembly that the petition does not just say that TSG doesn’t approve of the recent wage reform, but also that they do not approve of any decision made without the consent of the students it will affect.

“You don’t have to be a student worker to be affected by this,” Thompson said. “Anyone can sign the petition.”

While most of Thompson’s address concentrated on the petition, Diversity Affairs committee Chairperson Patrice Williams brought encouraging news for Philadelphia teenagers looking to attend the university. Noting that in the last year suburban acceptance rates are up 80% and rates in Philadelphia continued to decline, Williams announced that Temple would be attending thirteen Philadelphia college fairs in the near future, a marked improvement.

Additionally, Williams announced that the committee will hold a Town Hall meeting on the topic of diversity in the coming weeks.

This unifying message was not much different than the one offered by Thompson. Continuing with this theme of students united, Thompson also reminded TSG representatives of this Friday’s “Meet the TSG,” an event where students will have the opportunity to ask TSG officers questions and voice their concerns. Students will get their chance to find out TSG’s intentions at 5:30 p.m. in the Johnson and Hardwick Social Lounge.

According to Vice President of Academic Affairs Sarah Baker, most of the feedback from Friday’s summit will be contributed to TSG’s own meeting with University President David Adamany. Baker also encouraged representatives to be prepared for this important assembly.

“It’s very important,” Baker said. “Be sure to present yourself professionally.”

Student Trustee Bryan Phelan had the opportunity to hear most of what Dr. Adamany had to say last week while sitting with the Board of Trustees. He also encouraged the assembly to make the most of the visit.

“Take advantage of Dr. Adamany being here, it’s a big event,” Phelan said.

While their meeting may be TSG’s biggest event to date, the discussion never strays far from their most important issue, unity. Reminding students about the importance of harmony among representatives and students, Vice President of Student Affairs Dekwuan Postell also called for communication among students not just in TSG, but all over the university.

“Even here [in TSG] we’ve got to be united. Get to know the person next to you. Do it for unity, do it for diversity,” Postell said.

Christopher Reber may be reached at tua04453@temple.edu.