Two commit to men’s basketball team

The men’s basketball team received the second of two oral commitments from high school basketball players, the Philadelphia Daily News reported Oct. 5. Late last week Luis Guzman, a 6-2 point guard from Paramus (N.J.)

The men’s basketball team received the second of two oral commitments from high school basketball players, the Philadelphia Daily News reported Oct. 5. Late last week Luis Guzman, a 6-2 point guard from Paramus (N.J.) Catholic High School, announced his plans to suit up for the Owls in the future. The Owls also snagged Mike Scott, a 6-7 power forward from Deep Creek High School in Chesapeake, Va., the same school that produced Cynthia Jordan of the women’s basketball team.
Guzman, who in three years of starting has already reached the 1,000 point plateau, average 17 points, 6.5 assists and 5.5 rebounds last season. Scott, who turned 17 this past summer, average 21 points and 12 rebounds during his junior season. The two are expected to be academically eligible to play as freshman next season.
Matt Shaw, a 6-8, 240-pound forward from Los Angeles, also orally committed to Temple, according to Scout.com.
NCAA rules prohibit coach John Chaney from commenting until the two actually sign letters of intent. The first day of the official signing period is Nov. 9.
-Jeremy Drummond