Two men at large after armed robbery at HSC

A research assistant and medical student were robbed at gunpoint Thursday.

Police are investigating an armed robbery that took place near the Health Sciences Center on Thursday, said Deputy Director of Campus Safety Services Charles Leone.

The incident, which occurred at 5:50 p.m. on the 1400 block of West Venango Street, involved a medical student and a university research assistant. The two were walking to their vehicle, which was parked on a side street and not in a university lot, when two men approached them with a gun and demanded money, Leone said. The student was apparently struck with an unknown object, Leone said. The extent of the victims’ injuries was not immediately available.

Temple issued a TU Advisory at 8:51 a.m. Friday, and as of Friday, the suspects were still at large. Leone stressed that extra precautions would be taken to ensure that the area remains safe for students and staff, and that an extra unit would be added to patrol the Venango Street area.

The first suspect is described as a 6-foot tall black man in his 20s and was last seen wearing a black leather jacket. The second suspect is described as a 6-foot tall black man in his 20s and was last seen wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt, according to the advisory.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to call 911 or CSS at 215-204-1234.

Ali Watkins can be reached at allison.watkins@temple.edu.