Under the radar

Cover the Night Philadelphia Friday, April 20 7:30 p.m. LOVE Park 1599 JFK Blvd. Kony2012.com By now, you must have heard of Joseph Kony and his army of child soldiers in Uganda. Or, at the

Cover the Night Philadelphia

Friday, April 20

7:30 p.m.

LOVE Park

1599 JFK Blvd.

Kony2012.com

By now, you must have heard of Joseph Kony and his army of child soldiers in Uganda. Or, at the very least, seen the viral video of Kony 2012 video creator Jason Russell’s epic mental breakdown in San Diego. If this all just sounds like gibberish, we recommend getting a Facebook account immediately.

Cover the Night is a nation-wide effort to nonviolently cover cities in Kony stickers and posters to protest Kony’s actions in Africa and to raise the awareness of them.

Participants will meet at LOVE Park and move throughout the city posting paraphernalia and neighborhood clean-ups in an effort to give back to their communities. For more information on how to get involved, check out the CTN Facebook event page, “COVER THE NIGHT PHILADELPHIA.”

Ryan Echevarria organized a “Cover the Night: Temple University.” Any students looking to participate are encouraged to meet at the Bell Tower at 9 p.m.

Philadelphia Science Festival

April 20 to 29

Times vary

Various Locations

Prices Vary

Philasciencefestival.org

If you’re not of the 4/20 persuasion – or even if you are – the annual Philadelphia Science Festival is sure to blow you mind in more ways than one. In its second year, PSF brings educators, students, research institutions and even beer brewers together to celebrate science and expand each others’ knowledge.

On April 20, the opening night party will be held at Frankford Hall at 1210 Frankford Ave. at 7 p.m. Attendees can enjoy Yards Brewery’s various beers and work with NextFab Studio, a local high-tech workshop, to make music and build gadgets.

On April 21, the Franklin Institute is hosting Cupcake Chemistry. From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., the Institute, at 222 N. 20th St., is bringing in dessert experts Jen Dionisio and Gigi Naglak to discuss the chemistry behind a perfect cake.

Flavors of the Avenue

Saturday, April 28

Noon – 4 p.m.

East Passyunk Avenue, between Dickinson and Morris streets

$25 – $50

Visiteastpassyunk.com/flavors

Though it’s a ways away from the buzz of Center City, East Passyunk Avenue has a thriving restaurant scene, with more than 20 award-winning restaurants. This annual festival brings the local joints together under a big top circus tent, offering samples of their food and drinks to attendees. Restaurants include Cantina Los Caballitos, Marra’s and the South Philly Bar & Grill.

General admission tickets start at $25, but increased to $30 after April 20. The ticket includes wine and craft beer samplings. Or, you can splurge for the VIP tickets, which cost $45 – $50 after April 20 – and include specialty cocktails, a wider array of menu items and an extra hour in the tent.

At 3:30 p.m., there will be a free concert with Johnny Showcase and Cheers Elephant outside Birra at 1700 E. Passyunk Ave.

-Alexis Sachdev