Weekly Picks: Week of Sept. 30

Here are your Weekly Picks for the week of Sept. 30.

The Juan MacLean
One of the hottest electronic bands will pump out sexy jams at the ultimate hipster haven. Its music is festive, pulsating and effervescent. Songs like “Tito’s Way” or “Love is in the Air” invoke images of exploding confetti raining down and tasseled go-go girls bursting out of a humongous birthday cake.

Johnny Brenda’s is an especially intimate venue, so it should be a hot and heavy dance party – dress lightly and stay hydrated. While founder Juan MacLean is a solo music engineer and disc jockey, the show will be much more than a guy with a MacBook Pro pressing “play” on iTunes. He will be backed up by a live band, completed by Jerry Fuchs and Nancy Whang from LCD Soundsystem.
Johnny Brenda’s, 1201 N. Frankford Ave., Sept. 30, 9 p.m., $12

St. George’s Greek Festival
Media, Pa., may be a hike for some students, but it’s a small inconvenience to suffer for authentic Greek cuisine. The festival at St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church runs from Oct. 2 to Oct. 5, so there is ample time to plan a day of Greek music and dancing, as well as eating gyros, spanakopita and souvlaki.
St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church, 30 East Forge Road, Media, Pa., Oct. 2-5, free

Bumalik
Back by popular demand at the Rotunda, this documentary focuses on the personal experiences of three Filipino-American artists as they travel back home and the unique experiences they have on the way. One of the questions asked in this film is “Why do we return to the place of our origins?” On a sliding scale of $5-$15, it’s a cheap time at the movies without lowering one’s viewing standard to the level of, say, My Best Friend’s Girl.
Rotunda, 4014 Walnut St., Oct. 4, 8 p.m., $5-$15

Philly Zine Fest
End the week with some intellectual stimuli. The sixth annual Philly Zine Fest features representatives from 30 local and East Coast indie mags. Like many of the Rotunda events, the Zine Fest is free and supports the brave journalists and editors carving out a place of their own in an age considered to be the twilight of traditional media.
Rotunda, 4014 Walnut St., Oct.5, free

Jimmy Viola can be reached at jimmy.viola@temple.edu.