Women’s Basketball Recap

Top 3 Wins #1-Jan. 19: Temple 68, No. 13 George Washington 66 The Owls’ most exciting win of the year came against Atlantic Ten Conference rival George Washington at the Liacouras Center. The 13th-ranked Colonials

womens_kevincook1.jpgTop 3 Wins

#1-Jan. 19: Temple 68, No. 13 George Washington 66
The Owls’ most exciting win of the year came against Atlantic Ten Conference rival George Washington at the Liacouras Center. The 13th-ranked Colonials tied the game with a late surge, but a Shanea
Cotton jumper with 22 seconds left in play dramatically sealed the win. The game would ultimately pave the road for a regular season A-10 crown.

#2-Nov. 24: Temple 61, No. 22/20 Purdue 47
The upset over the Boilermakers early in the season proved that the Owls could hang with the best. Ashley
Morris scored a game-high 19 points in a convincing win at the Paradise Jam Tournament

#3-Dec. 27: Temple 65, Penn 40
Once again, Ashley Morris led the Owls, this time to their record setting 16th consecutive Big Five win. The senior scored 18 points against the Quakers.

Top 3 Losses

#1- Nov. 25: No. 4 Stanford 63, Temple 54
The Owls had Stanford in their crosshairs with a 39-22 halftime lead, but suffered a debilitating drought in the
second half. Morris netted 19 points as senior Lady Comfort added 14. The loss dropped the Owls to 2-4, and would have been a signature win for the program.

#2- Dec. 30: No. 6 Rutgers 70, Temple 34
The Owls were manhandled by one of the country’s premier teams. Morris provided 15 points, but the rest of the
offense was absent. Sophomore Jasmine Stone supplied 9 rebounds and 3 steals.

#3-Mar. 10: Xavier 47, Temple 42
With the A-10 Championship up for grabs, the Owls couldn’t seem to find an offensive rhythm. Morris and Cotton led the Owls with 12 and 10 points, respectively.

Top 3 Quotes

#1-“We don’t plan on losing any Big 5 games,” senior guard Ashley Morris said. “This is my city and I don’t take well to losing any Big 5 games. We come out and we’re going to play hard,” Morris said.

After a 54-46 defeat of Villanova, the Owls tied a Big Five record with 15 consecutive wins against city rivals.

#2-“Any loss is frustrating to me,” Coach Dawn Staley said. “But I thought we stuck to the game plan. We just couldn’t hit any shots. We couldn’t get anything going besides Ashley [Morris]. You’re not going to win a whole lot of basketball games when you only have one person scoring.”

This came after the Dec. 1 loss to North Carolina State, a game that would depict the Owls’ problem all year–too much weight on Ashley Morris’ shoulders. Morris had 27 points. The rest of the team scored a combined 25 points.

#3-“I’m caught by surprise how our team performed,” Staley said. “We didn’t execute and attack the basket to score.”

The Owls’ shocking 70-34 loss to Rutgers would prove to be a wakeup call, and Staley believes it is the worst loss in her coaching tenure.