Women’s soccer gets shutout for second time in AAC play

The Owls have been outscored by seven goals in their last four games, including Thursday’s 4-0 loss to Memphis at the Mike Rose Soccer Complex in Tennessee.

Freshman midfielder Emma Wilkins (left) chases after the ball in Temple's 3-0 loss to Cincinnati on Sunday at the Temple Sports Complex. | JAY NEEMEYER / TTN FILE PHOTO

Memphis junior forward Marie Levasseur had a goal and two assists to help the Tigers beat Temple, 4-0, on Thursday at the Mike Rose Soccer Complex in Tennessee.

After their eight-goal outburst against Delaware State University on Sept. 17, the Owls (5-6-1, 1-2 American Athletic Conference) have been shutout in three of their last four games. Temple now has one goal in three conference games.

The teams remained knotted at zero through the first 27 minutes until Tigers sophomore midfielder and forward Jessica Lisi opened up the scoring with her fifth goal of the season. Lisi took eight shots, while Temple took six.

Levasseur tallied her second assist of the night when sophomore forward Mikayla Morton netted her seventh goal the season to give Memphis a two-goal advantage in the 43rd minute.

Goals by Levasseur and junior forward Elizabeth Woerner in the 75th and 85th minutes respectively secured the win for the Tigers. Memphis (8-5-1, 2-2-1 The American) now has seven points, which ranks fourth in the conference.

The Tigers outshot the Owls 20-6 and 9-2 in shots on goal. Temple freshman midfielder Emma Wilkins and senior midfielder Elena Falcone each led with two shots.

The Owls will remain on the road through Sunday afternoon when they’ll conclude their two-game trip against Tulsa. The Golden Hurricane (3-10-2, 1-4 The American) are tied with Temple and Houston with three points in conference games. They dropped their third game in a row on Thursday against Connecticut.

The Owls are now two-thirds through the regular season. Six games, two of which are at home, remain before The American’s tournament begins Nov. 1. Six of the league’s 10 teams qualify.

Note: The Temple News cited an American Athletic Conference publication that misstated the number of teams that qualify for the postseason. This story has been updated to reflect the correct number of playoff teams.