Women’s soccer loses to Memphis on Senior Day

Temple has one game remaining after falling to Memphis 1-0 on Sunday.

Senior Sarah McGlinn (9) fights off a Memphis defender in Temple's 1-0 loss to Memphis on Sunday. | LUKE SMITH / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Goalkeeper Jordan Nash made just her second start of the season on Sunday in Temple University’s 1-0 loss to Memphis. She was one of six seniors on Temple’s roster who started on Senior Day.

Nash made eight saves on nine shots on goal. The only goal Nash allowed was scored by Tigers’ sophomore forward Clarissa Larisey in the second minute.

Nash said giving up an early goal was frustrating but praised the way the team played after allowing the goal.

“It can make or break a team,” Nash said. “Giving it up so early, we could’ve lost by four or five goals. I believe our team just picked it up and really stuck together and pulled out something that I think should’ve been at least a tie.”

Coach Seamus O’Connor said Nash played well, despite giving up the early goal.

After allowing the early goal, Temple (7-9-1, 3-4-1 American Athletic Conference) could not find the game-tying goal. The Owls registered nine shots and five corner kicks, but the Tigers held their lead.

“We’re glad that we created the opportunities,” O’Connor said. “We’re just disappointed that they didn’t go in. Their goalie had a couple of big saves. Their defenders just got a toe on the ball. We just couldn’t get the right people in the right spot. Wherever we went, it went somewhere else.”

The other five seniors honored on Senior Day were defenders Kelcie Dolan and Kat McCoy, midfielders Sarah McGlinn and Juliet Esposito and forward Kerri McGinley.

O’Connor said the seniors were vital to the team’s growth over the past four years.

“They came in when we were really good and then they helped me rebuild the program,” O’Connor said. “They brought us back again and got us into a position to be really good again. Their leadership has been tremendous. …They’ve helped the young players. They’ve just brought back the fun again to our program.”

The Owls will finish the regular season on Thursday against Connecticut. Temple is currently tied with Houston for fifth in the American Athletic Conference standings. The top six teams will advance to the conference tournament.

Nash said the team expects to perform well in its last game of the season, so it can clinch a spot in the conference tournament. A win over UConn paired with an East Carolina loss or tie in their remaining two games will send Temple to the postseason.

“We’re still very confident,” Nash said. “We’re not going to back down at all. We’re just going to keep building up. We’ll be ready for Thursday.”