Word on the web

kim on her commute without SEPTA on Nov. 4, 2009 at 8:15 a.m. I have to walk for 3 hours to get to my job. The mayor needs to come up with a plan for

kim on her commute without SEPTA on Nov. 4, 2009 at 8:15 a.m.
I have to walk for 3 hours to get to my job. The mayor needs to come up with a plan for when septa goes on strike again to eventually start a new transportation company.

girl on the pains of the SEPTA strike on Nov. 4, 2009 at 4:39 p.m.
the line for train tickets (which you can’t buy on the train only beforehand) was maybe 60 people long yesterday. and then the ticket woman left her booth. stranding students. septa is evil.

Jessie Paine on the dog-fighting panel led by experts at the Beasley School of Law on Nov. 3 at 12:16 p.m.
Thank you Matt Petrillo for covering this event! I just want to clarify that Federal law does not “state” that animal clients are always innocent. Rather, animals are used as the gun to commit a crime, but they aren’t the ones who pull the trigger. Animal exploitation comes in many forms, and one of those forms is physically and psychologically training a dog to be dangerous to others.

Gloria Pineda on the ongoing debate between Temple Hospital and its nurses on Nov. 3, 2009 at 1:54 p.m.
I think Temple management is missing the point that Nurses cannot be silenced when their patients’ safety and care is compromised. Nurses know best when their working environment is not safe for their patients for they are right there at the middle of the action. You would think that any negative feedback should be taken as a constructive criticism by management. My hats off to the nurses of TUH for standing for what is right…freedom to speak on behalf of their patients.

John on keeping it safe in North Philadelphia on Nov. 4, 2009 at 2:56 a.m.
I agree that the causes of crime have to be addressed, not just law enforcement. Living off campus around Temple can be challenging because of the crime. Its a hard reality that students trying to deal with the challenges of school and study have to deal with the stress of urban crime at the same time. No one ever listens to me but I lived in Europe as a kid and there is no equivalent to North Philadelphia in Europe. I am talking about crime. Europe does not have crime like we do. Not at all. Thats because they invest in the poor and strive to end poverty.

mustloveSEPTA on an editorial’s condemnation of SEPTA on Nov. 2, 2009 at 8:15 p.m.
Not sure I get the point of this. A union’s obligation is to its members, first and foremost. And why is it “inexcusable” to use the high profile setting of a World Series to showcase the robustness of labor in Philadelphia? Aren’t we interested in attracting workers who’d like to make better salaries and have the protections unions afford? As this piece points out, there’s no ‘right’ time to strike for SEPTA’s vast ridership. So what is the ‘potential damage’ this editorial so darkly warns of?