20/20 plan provokes student discussion

After the appointment of Margaret Carney as university architect, students are discussing parts of the 20/20 plan that have already been implemented, including Temple University Fitness, which was completed last fall. Future projects are currently

After the appointment of Margaret Carney as university architect, students are discussing parts of the 20/20 plan that have already been implemented, including Temple University Fitness, which was completed last fall.

Future projects are currently underway, including the new architecture building on 13th Street, the renovation of Pearson and McGonigle halls and the South Gateway project.

“I believe that to the people visiting Temple, the construction is probably a turnoff, but it is a good thing because our campus will look a lot nicer,” sophomore elementary education major Keri Nusslein said about Temple’s changes to Main Campus.

The noticeable construction around Main Campus is also the subject of student discussion.

“I find the construction to be tedious,” junior criminal justice major Dave Kerr said. “I find the closing of 15th Street and part of Montgomery [Avenue] to be annoying because not only does it limit people’s ability to walk those streets, [but] it also decreases parking spaces and causes more students to have to park further off campus.”

“I think the new construction on campus is for the better of the university but is definitely inconvenient for a commuter and the student body as a whole,” said James McCann, a sophomore university studies major.

“I have heard that Pearson Hall is going to have shops and restaurants in the basement of the building, which is exciting,” said sophomore kinesiology major Paulene Niessen. Pearson and McGonigle Halls’ renovations are slated to be completed in September 2011.

-Maura Lieberman