Alston to represent Temple men’s basketball with nation’s top seniors

Shizz Alston Jr. will compete in the NABC Reese’s College All-Star game on April 5 at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The game is made up of the 20-best seniors in Division I men’s basketball this season.

Former guard Shizz Alston Jr. looks on during Temple's 81-70 loss to Belmont University in the NCAA Tournament First Four on March 19 in Dayton, Ohio. | JUSTIN OAKES / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Temple University guard Shizz Alston Jr. is being honored as one of the 20-best seniors from Division I men’s college basketball.

Alston will play in the National Association of Basketball Coaches Resse’s College All-Star game at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota on April 5th. The nation’s best seniors will compete prior to the NCAA Tournament’s Final Four.

Alston, who played his final game with the Owls in last week’s NCAA Tournament game, is the first Temple player to receive the honor since former guard Will Cummings in 2015.

“I am truly thankful for the opportunity to represent Temple University and my family at the NABC Reese’s College All-Star Game,” Alston said in a news release on Wednesday. “This is a great opportunity and I would not be in this position without the help of Coach [Fran] Dunphy, Coach [Aaron] McKie and the entire staff as well as my father and mother who has been with me every step of the way.”

Alston led the Owls and the American Athletic Conference in scoring and in free throw percentage this season averaging 19.7 points per game while shooting 90.6 percent from the free-throw line.

The former guard helped Temple finish with a 23-10 record and clinch its first NCAA Tournament bid since 2016.    

Alston made 99 3-point shots this season and became the only player in Temple history to make a 3-pointer in every game during a season.  

Alston scored a career-high 34 points against Connecticut on March 3 to help the Owls secure a first-round bye in the American Conference tournament.

Alston finished his career 13th on Temple’s all-time scoring list with 1,597 career points and eighth all-time in assists with 410.