Anti-Semitic ‘joke’ at UV

Most students didn’t notice it at first, but when the media descended on University Village Thursday, residents took a second look at the newsletter slipped under their door. In an April Fools’ joke gone wrong,

Most students didn’t notice it at first, but when the media descended on University Village Thursday, residents took a second look at the newsletter slipped under their door.
In an April Fools’ joke gone wrong, the monthly letter included a poem with anti-Semitic sentiments. A Jean Rogers poem was changed to include the line, “Extinct are the Jews.”

Less than 24 hours after the newsletter was slipped under students’ doors, Rob Simmons, the general manager at University Village, sent out an apology letter.

“The general management of University Village was not aware of this language and we sincerely apologize to everyone who viewed the piece,” the letter read.
The memorandum also said those responsible for the poem would be terminated.

David Margulies, the spokesperson for University Village, said the organization has no tolerance for conduct like this. He added that the newsletter is written by a resident life staff member, then reviewed by a full-time staff member.

“We are firmly committed to preventing this type of action in the future, and, therefore, have added an additional layer of review to the newsletter process,” Margulies said.

Resident Mary Kate Henneman said she usually doesn’t read the newsletter, but when she saw her building on the news, she took a second look.

“Two of my friends are Jewish. They just shouldn’t have put it in there. I don’t like [living] here period. Besides the whole paper thing, I don’t like it,” Henneman said.

Frank Usefara, a junior business major, said the whole thing is getting blown up.

“I didn’t notice it [originally], so I didn’t think it was a big deal, but I know a lot of people are getting offended by it,” Usefara said.

There have only been a few phone calls from residents and their parents, Margulies said.

“We believe, and are hopeful, that our residents have accepted our apology and know that this type of conduct does not reflect the character and values of our organization,” he said.

LeAnne Matlach can be reached at leannematlach@temple.edu.