Large group of juveniles, shots fired reported on Main Campus

There were two separate shots fired incidents reported, as well as a report of a large group of juveniles on Broad Street.

FILE / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Updated 02/11/2024, 11:58 a.m.

The Temple community received multiple TUalerts for shots fired as incidents broke out on and around Main Campus Saturday night.

DPS had been made aware of a social media post earlier in the week announcing a “meet-up” taking place on Saturday and communicated with PPD’s 22nd District to coordinate resources with TUPD. A detail of officers from both departments were stationed in the area before the meetup and cameras in the area were monitored, wrote Jennifer Griffin, vice president for public safety, in an announcement to the Temple community Sunday. 

The meetup was orderly to begin, but several fights broke out and officers began to disperse the crowd and take several people into custody, Griffin wrote. 

At 5:23 p.m., the Department of Public Safety advised students to avoid the area of Broad Street near Cecil B. Moore Avenue due to a large group of juveniles. The university said police had arrived at the scene. On Citizen, a mobile app that sends users safety alerts based on their location, users streamed footage of a large group of people in the area.

DPS and PPD coordinated additional resources from PPD to respond, including their motorcycle unit and Emergency Response Team. SEPTA leadership was also contacted to help disperse groups on the subway, Griffin wrote. 

DPS sent another TUalert at 5:53 p.m. after officers heard a gunshot in the area of Park Avenue near Cecil B. Moore. Park Avenue runs between Morgan Hall and 1300 Residence Hall.

Keep Us Safe TU, a social media account that monitors crime and safety issues around Temple, posted a video taken from Morgan Hall North that appears to show the moment when shots were fired in the area.

Six minutes later, at 5:59 p.m., students got an additional TUalert after officers heard a second gunshot on Broad Street near Cecil B. Moore Avenue.

A majority of the group was dispersed and an updated TUalert was sent out at 6:51 p.m. advising students to resume normal activity. DPS designated the area as all clear at 8:24 p.m. and officers remained there through the night. There is currently no evidence of any injuries, Griffin wrote.

After monitoring camera footage and videos from citizens, DPS believes that one person fired a handgun into the air during both incidents. The department has shared the information and the subject’s picture with law enforcement and on social media.

“We are thankful for the efforts of Temple Police Officers, Philadelphia Police Officers and SEPTA Police, who worked together to disperse the crowd and maintained a steady presence in the area throughout the night,” Griffin wrote. “We are also appreciative of our DPS Communication Center team, who monitored the cameras, deployed resources and sent out timely alerts to keep everyone informed.”