Lieberman: Student offers fashion advice – ‘Be yourself’

Lieberman investigates how to achieve Curry’s style in store and online.

MAURA LIEBERMAN

MAURA LIEBERMANMaxi dresses are a wardrobe staple since they can go from casual to formal with just a simple change of shoes or jewelry.  It can be difficult, however, to find at them at affordable prices. But don’t be discouraged – great deals are still within reach while out searching for the perfect maxi dress.

Students should target the countless deals available when it comes to updating their fashion for the season changes, including little known, inexpensive stores that are within blocks of each other in Center City.

Thrifty stores, like Buffalo Exchange located on 17th and Chestnut streets, offer upscale clothing items that are gently used. Although it may take some exploration, shoppers can find some upscale brands and clothes in good condition.

The fashionista of the week, Antonia Curry, got her entire wardrobe at Free People, which is located next to Urban Outfitters on 16th and Walnut streets. Curry mentioned that she loves to wear maxi skirts, big sweaters and all things bohemian, which are available in abundance at Free People. However, it can be costly for students on a budget. Many thrift shops, retail stores and online clothing sites offer similar styles to Free People at half the price.

Fashion gurus can find maxi dresses for lower prices at Charlotte Russe. A basic black maxi dress, available online, is $22 and can be paired with virtually anything because of its simplicity. It can be the building block of an outfit, paired with sandals in the sun or adorned with a sweater for the cooler weather.

You can also find deals on the fashion website Tobi. Shoppers get 50 percent off of their first order. I found this simple maxi dress, which can be dressed up or down with heels or flats.

Even when fall starts, students can recycle much of their summer apparel. Maxi dresses can look great with a sweater, cardigan or denim jacket. Style is about self-expression, so a look should be personal.

Maura Lieberman can be reached at Maura.Lieberman@temple.edu