Pre-Valentine’s Day Potluck

Looking for a cheap place to take that special Valentine for dinner this year? 2424 Studios is hosting a Pre-Valentine’s Day Potluck Mixer, followed by the screening of The Panic at Needle Park in the

Looking for a cheap place to take that special Valentine for dinner this year?
2424 Studios is hosting a Pre-Valentine’s Day Potluck Mixer, followed by the screening of The Panic at Needle Park in the Skyroom. Backseat Conceptions, formerly based out of the 941Theater, will present the film.
Theater 941 recently shut down due to financial reasons and has relocated to 2424 Studios. The Valentine’s Day Pot-Luck Mixer will be Backseat Conceptions’ first event in its new space in 2424 Studios, where they plan on showing one to two films per month.
“This upcoming event really is just a chance to introduce people to the new space and bring our following from the 941 Theater,” said Doug Sakmann, producer for Backseat Conceptions.
The event will kick off with a potluck; patrons are asked to bring food and beverages to share with others. It is also encouraged that attendants come out to share any self-created projects they’re working on, such as videos, pictures, music, Web sites or art.
Following the potluck and project reception will be a screening of The Panic at Needle Park, starring Al Pacino.
The Panic at Needle Park may not necessarily be the mainstream romantic Valentine’s Day movie, but it certainly features quite a bit of romance as Bobby (Al Pacino), a young hustler, and Helen (Kitty Winn), a homeless girl, try to balance a relationship while feeding their addictions to heroin.
“It’s a very romantic movie, and it’s a movie that is not as well known as it should be,” Sakmann said. “It’s a good example of the types of films we like to show.”
Located at 2424 East York Street in Fishtown at the corner of York and Gaul streets, 2424 Studios is a new work-studio community, consisting of more than 100 work-studios and office suites.
The studio building also includes a Skybox with 6,200 square feet of open space, where the potluck mixer will take place. The Skybox features a screen and projector, which can be used for attendants to share and talk about their work.
The event is free, though a donation of $3 is suggested.
“It’s a great way to meet some cool people and see some cool films,” Sakmann said.
The potluck will be held Thursday, Feb. 11 from 7 p.m. to 10p.m. and will be presented by Backseat Conceptions and the Philadelphia Friends of the Projected Arts.
Grace Dickinson can be reached at grace.dickinson@temple.edu.