Street Sounds: Kite Party

Despite hundreds of known musical genres, Kite Party shies away from the classifications and, instead, creates an entrancing tone that is fresh and innovative.

kite party high res image
Courtesy Prairie Queen Records The members of Kite Party recorded their newest album, Wish Mountain, in three days. The EP captures their eclectic indie sound in just four songs.

Raspy vocals are splashed overtop the hypnotizing guitar riffs and keyboard melodies and make Kite Party’s music an experience in itself. The band has hints of many different influences in its songs, from punk to indie, but successfully molds its own sound into the mix.

“I like to think that any good band can stand on its own, not really borrowing too much from anyone else,” singer and guitarist Russell Edling said. “The fact that we’re uncomfortable being anything keeps us from staying in one place and getting stale there.”

Though this band has varying musical influences, the members tend to draw their inspiration mainly from the people they surround themselves with.

“We are influenced by one another. I think we keep one another engaged and motivated,” Edling said.

He explained how the creative process of writing the band’s music is extremely collaborative, and the members don’t write anything outside of their practices.

Alongside Edling, Tim Jordon and Justin Fox trade off playing bass, guitar and keyboards, as Pete Knepper creates the backbone of the band’s songs with his drum beats.

These four members currently have two albums released. Hand Claps Music was Kite Party’s first self-released album and offers eight tracks, each of which highlight the band’s musical creativity. The band’s second album, Wish Mountain, is an EP released by its current label, Prairie Queen Records.

After the release of the band’s first album, members used the profits to purchase a renovated mansion in Philadelphia, where they now reside.

“I think what is really keeping us here is the fact that we feel like we have a home as a band now,” Edling said. “We have a support system of friends and bands that stick together down here, which is really great to be a part of.”

Kite Party developed in the winter of 2007, making this band still fairly young. Edling said the band first tried to develop songs as quickly as possible, so it could record and put a record out for its fans.

“Now when we write, we make a point to take more into consideration before we start to consider the songs finished,” he said.

Currently, the band is touring along the East Coast at a variety of venues and locations.

“When we play, we try to stay positive and worry about the collective energy more so than the sound,” Edling said. “We try to not worry about that as much as just having fun, and I guess I’d like the audience to feel like, more than anything, they have as much fun with our music as we do.”

Sheila Stanton can be reached at sheila.stanton@temple.edu.