Under the Radar

Expand your horizons this week, and check out some of these upcoming events in Philadelphia.

Wednesday, April 14

The Appleseed Cast at First Unitarian Church
2125 Chestnut St.
7:30 p.m.
$12

The Lawrence, Kan., based post-rock band plays tomorrow night to showcase its two most popular albums from 2001 in its entirety – Low Level Owl, Volume I & II. In addition, the band announced during its spring 2010 tour it would sell live recordings of both albums at the concert.

Low Level Owl I & II has been described as Appleseed’s most ambitious album, featuring complex vocal arrangements and an ambient use of instruments. The band’s emo-rock progressions are comparable to those of Sunny Day Real Estate.

Appleseed will play alongside touring mates Dreamend, a Chicago-based experimental group with associated acts like Explosions in the Sky. The doors open at 7:30 p.m., and tickets are still available at r5productions.com.

Saturday, April 17

Free Beer Tasting
at the Marketplace
at East Falls
4-6 p.m.
3747 Ridge Ave.

Happy Hour just got happier at the Marketplace at East Falls. This Saturday, head to the local farmers market at East Falls from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. for a cheap date courtesy of beerheads.com. The marketplace covers the tab on every third Saturday of the month to bring the 21-and-over crew bottles upon bottles of free local and national craft beers, including Stoudt’s and Riverhorse.
While sampling, you can stroll the marketplace for fresh produce, cheeses and breads to complement the beer or build your gourmet evening meal.
Although the event is marketed as a free happy hour, the Marketplace and Beer Heads happily accept donations to help keep the event running.

Through August 31

The Phanatic
Around Town

Take advantage of the spring weather, and partake in the Phillie Phanatic tour around the city. The Philadelphia Phillies and the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation collaborated with local artists to create 20 6-foot-tall, 100-pound fiberglass statues of the Phanatic in commemorative outfits at popular tourist attractions and landmarks throughout the city.

Locations include The Free Library of Philadelphia, featuring Star Voyager Phillie, the Betsy Ross House with “Patchwork Phanatic,” a tribute to baseball Phillie at The African American Museum and the “Liberty Bellie” at the Independence Visitor Center.

Whether you’re a diehard Phillies fan or want an excuse to explore the city, this initiative to encourage tourism is sure to be a fun photo-op.
For an entire list of Phillie’s locations and directions, visit visitphilly.com. The event runs until the end of the summer.

Through April 21

Solitary Pleasures
Slought Foundation
4017 Walnut St.

This unorthodox show at the Slought Foundation displays the most basic, animalistic and private acts of men and women in art form – masturbation. “Solitary Pleasures” features vintage pornographic photographs on the walls, videos featuring a woman masturbating and a man’s toes curling at a moment of climax.

This exhibit is not, however, for the lighthearted. Though all the artists portray the “dirty laundry” of our society, the subjects are represented with an air of dignity. The artists’ intentions are to create a dialogue about the societal taboo of masturbation and sex.

“Solitary Pleasures” runs through Wednesday, April 21 at the Slought Foundation, at 4017 Walnut St. Admission is free, and many pieces will be available for sale or giveaway.

Alexis Sachdev can be reached at alexis.sachdev@temple.edu.