Temple takes down Saint Joe’s in bounce-back effort

With the win, Temple Lacrosse improved to 22-4 against Saint Joseph’s all-time.

Temple Lacrosse bounced back with a 13-10 victory against Saint Joseph's University on March 4 at Howarth Field. | JOSH CRELIN / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Temple Lacrosse (3-2, 0-0 American Athletic Conference) defeated Saint Joseph’s University (1-5, 0-0 A10 Conference) 13-10 on Saturday afternoon at Howarth Field. Attacker Mackenzie Roth and midfielder Belle Mastopietro’s hat tricks helped the Owls improve their all-time record against the Hawks to 22-4. 

KEY PLAYS

• Saint Joe’s midfielder Bonnie Yu opened the scoring, giving the Hawks a 1-0 lead just a minute and 15 seconds into the matchup.
  • Temple answered back with goals from Roth, midfielder Camryn Zavacky and attacker Amelia Wright, giving the Owls a 3-1 lead with seven minutes remaining in the first quarter.
  • The Hawks had a three-goal stretch of their own in the second quarter, with goals coming from Yu and midfielders Maddie Yoder and Riley Evans, giving Saint Joe’s a 5-4 lead with less than 10 minutes remaining in the second quarter.
  • Wright and attacker Julie Schickling’s goals helped the Owls take a 6-5 lead into halftime.
  • Temple continued their dominance in the second half, opening up the third quarter on a 4-1 run with two of the goals coming from Roth. Mastropietro and Erin King each scored one, giving the Owls a 10-6 lead.
  • The Hawks answered with goals from Yoder and attacker Kate Tomick to cut the lead to 10-8 heading into the final quarter of play.
  • The Owls opened the fourth quarter with three straight goals, two of them coming from Mastropietro and Wright, putting the game away and sealing the Owls’ victory.

THE NUMBERS

• Temple earned assists on seven of their goals while Saint Joe’s assisted on four of their 10 goals.
  • Yu finished the matchup with a game-high five goals.
  • Owls’ goalkeeper Taylor Grollman had six saves on the day while Hawks’ goalkeeper Jordan Concordia had seven saves.
  • Mastropietro’s three goals brought her total to a team-high 18 on the year. 
  • Temple finished the game with 22 shots to the Hawks’ 27.

ON TAP

The Owls will travel to Poughkeepsie, New York to take on Marist University (2-2, 0-0 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) on Feb. 25 at 12 p.m.