The American postpones soccer, volleyball and cross country

The AAC originally planned to play all three sports this fall.

The American Athletic Conference announced that they will postpone men’s and women’s soccer and women's volleyball seasons until Spring 2021. | COLLEEN CLAGGETT / FILE

Updated on Sept. 1 at 8:30 p.m.

The American Athletic Conference will postpone all competition and conference championships for men’s and women’s soccer, and women’s volleyball until the Spring 2021 season, all men’s and women’s cross country competition will be postponed until a later date the conference announced today.

“We remain committed to providing our student-athletes a quality experience and competing at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics,” wrote American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco. “We were prepared to conduct competition in the fall in men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball, but moving to the spring was in the best interest of our student-athletes as it will align our schedules to allow our teams to compete for national championships.”

The American originally announced all fall sports would play in the fall on Aug. 6, The Temple News reported. 

Temple men’s soccer, women’s soccer, and volleyball joined Temple field hockey as sports to be postponed to the spring. 

Football is the only fall sport still scheduled to play this upcoming season. However, it has yet to be determined if cross country will compete in the Spring or start at a later date in the fall, according to the release. 

The AAC will announce the spring regular season and championship formats, as well as schedules after the NCAA Division I Council, clarifies the revised playing and practice season and championship formats, according to the release.