Under the radar

Christmas Village / Now–Dec. 24 Sundays – Thursdays 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. / Fri. – Sat. 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. Free LOVE Park www.philachristmas.com/28- 0-About.html The German Christmas Village is Center City’s annual

Christmas Village / Now–Dec. 24

Sundays – Thursdays 11 a.m. – 7

p.m. / Fri. – Sat. 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Free

LOVE Park

www.philachristmas.com/28-

0-About.html

The German Christmas Village is Center City’s annual outdoor holiday market set up at LOVE Park this year. Vendors in more than 50 wooden booths sell traditional European foods and holiday favorites, international gifts, ornaments, jewelry, winter accessories and arts and crafts. Most things are pretty reasonably priced, and are great for holiday gifts. Thousands of holiday lights, a large Christmas tree in the center of the park and the smell of traditional German foods and holiday drinks make this an unforgettable atmosphere that you will want to visit year after year. Purchase a hand-crafted glass ornament for your boss, a hand-knit scarf for your sister or a personalized accessory for your best friend. Get all your holiday shopping done during a day in the city with your roommates before winter break.

Macy’s Dickens Village and Christ

mas Light Show / Now–Dec. 24

Light Show – Every hour on the

hour 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. / Dickens Vil

lage – 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Free

Macy’s Center City

1300 Market St.

www.wanamakerorgan.com/

xmas.php#hours

The Macy’s Center City light show has been a Philly tradition since 1956. Every hour, on the hour there’s a light show in the Grand Court, and a daily organ concert that follows the noon show. The Macy’s Magic Christmas Tree has approximately 34,500 LED lights in six different colors. The rest of the show uses about 65,000 different colored LED lights, and lights up in holiday images like snowmen, angels and Santa himself. The store also offers visitors the chance to see Dickens Christmas Village, featuring 26 animatronic scenes from “A Christmas Carol.” Explore this holiday wonderland on the fourth floor and end with pictures with Santa ($16 – $40).

ContempraDance Theatre’s Philly-

Nut-Crak-Up / Dec. 9 – 11

Friday, Dec. 9 – 7:30 p.m. / Satur

day, Dec. 10 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. /

Sunday, Dec. 11 – 2 p.m.

Adults $26, Children $22, Students

with ID $22

Mandell Theater – Drexel Univer

sity

33rd and Chestnut streets

www.contempradancethea

tre.org/thtr_sched.html

It’s the Nutcracker gone hip-hop. This crazy spin-off is based on an original rap song written by the Sugar Plum Fairy herself. This rapping fairy is joined by her battling hip-hop Rats, City Hall Dolls, Captain Philadelphia and Liberty Bell-Anne. The story, filled with super heroes, kung fu, and the Kingdom of Prussia is a combination of different dance techniques and comedy, with a story line specific to Philly. References are made to places, personalities, foods and skylines unique to the city. It’s a holiday show that’s been featured annually by Philadelphia Magazine, Dance Magazine, Philadelphia City Paper, 6 ABC and NBC 10. After the Sunday performance you can meet the cast for autographs.

Eighth Annual LATKEPALOOZA

and Holiday Bazaar / Sunday, Dec.

11

2 – 4 p.m.

Adults $15, Children $5

UArts, Hamilton Hall

320 S. Broad St.

www.gershmany.org/viewpro

gramBeta.php?id=470

A latkepalooza? Yes, it is exactly what it sounds like. Local restaurant chefs gather at Hamilton Hall to fry up some delicious gourmet varieties of these simple potato pancakes. Restaurants cooking include Bar Ferdinand, Delicatessen, Estia, Federal Donuts, Sabrina’s Café, Singapore Chinese Kitchen, Talula’s Garden and Tashan. With a variety like that you don’t want to miss out. This year will also feature a Holiday Bazaar–a one stop shop to buy gifts, and enjoy a delicious foodie favorite to celebrate the Hanukkah season. This annual tradition is sponsored by the Gershman Y and is always popular, so get tickets online today.

Nichole Baldino can be reached at nichole.baldino@temple.edu.