Go raw at Aki without stripping your pockets

Aki Japanese restaurant serves quality sushi without the expensive check.

Philadelphia seems to have a restaurant on every corner. With so many options, it can be difficult to make the right choice. But for a reasonably priced raw meal, Center City’s Aki is just the place to go.

Set inside a posh, contemporary space, Aki offers traditional Japanese food without skimping on quality, variety or price. Its soups and salads are priced at $10 or less, entrees range from $13 to $23, and sushi and sashimi platters start at $15.

Aki also offers an extensive sake list with bottles ranging from $8 to $48, depending on the quality and rarity.

What sets Aki apart is its all-you-can-eat sushi extravaganza for $24.95 on Wednesdays and Sundays. Unlike other all-you-can-eat sushi establishments in the city – and there aren’t many – Aki offers a wide variety of preparations such as nigiri, which is served over rice, maki rolls and temaki (hand rolls). The restaurant offers the miso soup or salad at no additional cost with the all-you-can-eat option.

The restaurant also offers a 4:30-7 p.m. happy hour Monday through Friday. Along with their sushi, patrons can enjoy $3 beers, $4 glasses of wine and $5 cocktails and sake.

The next time your sushi craving hits, have no fear. Head to Aki to enjoy high-quality sushi without the risk of going broke.

Kali Wyrosdic can be reached at kali.wyrosdic@temple.edu