Temple Tweets

Enthusiasm is not in my blood. Few things can trigger ecstatic feelings in me, such as a greasy cookie from the Insomnia Cookies truck and music (and by music, I mean Tegan and Sara.)

Beyond that, it’s a stretch. I think that’s why I’m always a little taken back by excitement and/or rage created by the Phillies. I’m happy for Philadelphia’s success and the joy that a baseball team can apparently bring to people, but do people have to display their excitement by smashing the pumpkin on my stoop? Jayson Werth is not going to hop off the Broad Street Line and give you a high-five for destroying personal property in his team’s honor. samantha krotzer

There are other outlets available to voice your anger or destructive happiness, such as Twitter. Walking up to a Yankees fan and saying a few derogatory phrases might end badly, but in the Twittersphere, there is no need to have any fear. The worst that could happen is you receive a few negative @replies, but who doesn’t love an @reply? It’s just proof that someone is reading your tweets, which is all we tweeters really want.

@shredcitizen: dear temple university, stop sending me emails warning me not to riot if the phillies win the series. im not some riot baby.
Temple does have a Twitter account; however, it is not officially associated with the university. This seems a little fishy, leading me to believe it really is Ann Weaver Hart tweeting. Maybe she is just trying to stay elusive. Either way, next time you don’t want blast e-mail, try tweeting directly to Temple. I’m not sure how they handle excessive e-mail complaints, but a polite and professional tweet may score you removal from the listserv.

@TempleU_SciTech: Temple faculty offer analysis on significance of Phillies World Series run
The analysis talked about the economic and community impact of the World Series as well as the psychology of winning. Assistant professor of sports and recreation management, Emily Sparvero commented on the topic.
“Also, a successful team will enhance community self-esteem and cause residents to feel better about themselves and about Philadelphia because of the Phillies’ success,” she said.
I may only be speaking for myself, but a Phillies win is not going to make me feel any better about myself. No portion of the millions of dollars the team is paid will be floating in my direction to help me with rent or the electric bill. When I fail an exam or am late for work, I seriously doubt the Phillies’ success is going to pop into my head and remind me to feel good about myself because I live in Philadelphia. On the bright side, do you think if I tweeted at one of the Phillies, he could spot me a couple bucks? That would make me feel better.

@sparky610: It’s okay, people. The Phillies were the Mets for Halloween. Except for Jayson, he missed the memo.
@sparky610, I do not think anyone from Philadelphia appreciated the Phillies’ Halloween trick. At least no one, except for you, on Twitter did. The amount of tweets that lost their meanings through the F-bombs was countless. I’m sure it’s obvious I am no baseball connoisseur, but I still think this tweet would have been more amusing if there was a Pirates reference. Philly and New York go way back in hating each other, but I know a lot of you Philadelphians hate Pittsburgh, too. The Pirates pose absolutely no threat to any team and would have made a much better low blow.

I have promised myself to never pretend to be enthusiastic about something that I truly do not care about, but I do like Philadelphia, so regardless of the outcome, here’s to the Phillies!

Samantha Krotzer can be reached at samantha.krotzer@temple.edu.