Under the radar

Free Screening of ‘Groundhog Day’ Tuesday, Jan. 31 7:30 p.m. Chestnut Hill Library 8711 Germantown Ave. Free www.freelibrary.org The Chestnut Hill Library must know that nobody would ever actually pay to see “Groundhog Day,” which

Free Screening of ‘Groundhog Day’

Tuesday, Jan. 31

7:30 p.m.

Chestnut Hill Library

8711 Germantown Ave.

Free

www.freelibrary.org

The Chestnut Hill Library must know that nobody would ever actually pay to see “Groundhog Day,” which is why, we’re guessing, they’re hosting a free screening. The 1993 film, starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell, follows Murray’s character, Phil Connors, a Pittsburgh weatherman, who travels to Punxsutawney for Groundhog Day, and then who relives the day again, and again and again.

If you can sit through the ‘90s fashion, Murray’s inexplicable disdain for rodents and his repeated – albeit hilarious – suicide attempts, it’s actually worth the see, though not nearly as iconic or laugh-out-loud funny as “Caddyshack.

Feb. 2 – March 3

8 p.m.

Curio Theatre Company

4740 Baltimore Ave.

$15-$20

It doesn’t matter if you’re a present-day citizen, inhabitant of Tralfamador or even if you experience interruptions in the space-time continuum which transport you to World War II Germany, be sure to head down to Curio Theatre Company for the opening night of “Slaughterhouse-Five.” Kurt Vonnegut’s internationally-heralded 1969 satire has been adapted by Eric Simonson for the stage. Theatre-goers can witness Billy Pilgrim’s life moments – his alien abduction to alienation at the hands of his family in his old age, and everything in between.

Groundhog Day Hawaiian Shirt Beer Breakfast & Lucky Cat Beer Prognostication

Thursday, Feb. 2

7 a.m.

The Grey Lodge Pub

6325 Frankford Ave

Pay as you go

www.greylodge.com

I’m not going to lie – we really don’t know what Hawaiian shirts have to do with Groundhog Day. We’re even more clueless on the relationship between Groundhog Day and Lucky Cat Day, or even what Lucky Cat Day is. But of this we’re certain: There’s beer involved, and lots of it.

Avoiding another Bill Murray reference, what else is there to do while waiting for that devilish little rodent to emerge? And, let’s face it, he’s only going to bring bad news of more winter weather. So bring the sunshine to Philly with an island T-shirt and warm up with some kegs ‘n eggs before class.

National Carrot Cake Day

Friday, Feb. 3

Various locations

Carrot cake gets such a bad rep, but undeservedly so. Honestly, what better way to eat your veggies than baked into a sugary, sweet delight, topped with Philadelphia cream cheese icing? Carrot cake falls right up there with beet cupcakes and broccoli brownies, but way, way yummier.

If you’re an amateur pastry chef, Food.com has more than 1,000 carrot cake recipes, and Fresh Grocer has all the ingredients. But if the last time you tried making Ramen Noodles, the last thing you remember is a firefighter carrying you out of your scorched apartment, here’s a couple places in the city with a bangin’ carrot cake:

Jones (700 Chestnut St.), Honey’s Sit ‘n Eat (800 N. 4th St.) and Schlesinger’s (1521 Locust St.)  all offer carrot cake on their regular menus, and Schlesinger’s offers take-out as well. Or take it to go with a carrot cupcake from Brown Betty, with locations in Rittenhouse Square, Liberty Place and Northern Liberties.

Alexis Sachdev