Temple’s Varsity 8 boat splits races in its season opener

Temple won a pair of races against Boston College and the University of North Carolina on Saturday in its season opener on the Schuylkill.

The rowing team competes in the Kerr Cup on April 15, 2017 on the Schuylkill. | MAX SIMONS / TTN FILE PHOTO

Temple kicked off its season by winning a pair of races against both Boston College and the University of North Carolina on Saturday on the Schuylkill.

Both of the Owls’ Varsity 8 squads beat Boston College on Saturday. Temple’s top Varsity 8 boat defeated the Eagles by more than five seconds. The Owls finished the race in six minutes, 41.2 seconds, while Boston College finished with a time of 6:46.3.

Temple’s Varsity 8 boat did the opposite against North Carolina. The Owls fell to the Tar Heels by about five seconds. North Carolina finished with a time 6:29.46 compared to Temple’s 6:34.6.

Temple’s second Varsity 8 boat went undefeated on the Schuylkill. The Owls beat the Tar Heels by almost two seconds, 6:37 to 6:38.7.

They also defeated Boston College by more than 10 seconds. Temple finished with a time of 6:37.7, while the Eagles finished the race in 6:48.

The Owls’ top Varsity 4 boat went 1-1 in its season opener. The group beat North Carolina with a time of 7:21.3 compared to the Tar Heels’ 7:25.5. Temple lost to Boston College by about eight seconds.

Temple’s third Varsity 8 boat lost both of its races against North Carolina and Boston College by more than 15 seconds.

Temple will host the Murphy Cup Regatta on the Schuylkill next weekend.